Home | About | Donate

Zephyr Teachout's Push for Reform

Zephyr Teachout's Push for Reform

Jake Whitney

In a small, wood-paneled community center about five miles outside of New Paltz, New York, I sit in a semi-circle with about thirty other people on a sunny afternoon. Most of us are crumpled in folding chairs; some sit cross-legged on the floor; a few mill about by the kitchen where coffee and hot chili are offered. We are gathered to see Zephyr Teachout, the former gubernatorial candidate now running for Congress in New York’s nineteenth district, which is a wide swath of the Hudson Valley and Catskill mountains.

Good article. I like Zephyr Teachout & was thrilled by the success of her primary campaign against Cuomo. What I have never understood is why she threw her support to him for the general election, when the Working Families Party had offered her their nomination on a platter. Cuomo certainly had not turned into an honest politician overnight. Nevertheless, with Bernie behind her, I will contribute to her campaign upstate

This is a reference to the "Page and Gilens Study":

"In April 2014, Princeton University published a study that bolsters this argument. It found that when average citizens wanted something done independent of the will of economic elites, the chances of legislation being enacted were “near zero.” On the other hand, elites and business interests had “substantial independent impact” on public policy."

"The do nothing Congress" and "Washington DC gridlock" are two of the biggest lies perpetuated by the media.

Although those labels DO apply to DC politicians with respect to doing anything that benefits the 99%, the DC politicians make sure there is no gridlock when it comes time to deliver for the 1%.

Yes, they get 1 per cent legislation done veery quickly. Money talks.

I sort of hate to take you on in another thread, but I was biting my tongue against commenting on the unfortunate citation (well, not really) of that theoretical meta-analysis, never a study, never in any way evaluating causality. And it wasn't published by Princeton (where I studied sociology). You didn't make it clear whether you liked the citation or not. Anyway, it's a bit irrelevant to Teachout, who I don't think would ever have cited it.